Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Story time at the Arboretum

We have been planning a morning out to the arboretum for two weeks and the morning couldn’t have been any nicer. The local arboretum hosts an outdoor story/craft time every Wednesday morning and we had yet to take advantage of it. With temperatures in the mid 70s and a nice breeze it was the perfect day to finally make the trip.

I was joined by my friends and their boys (getting the kids together is a great excuse for us to get together too). They enjoyed a quick story before getting the chance to run free.

arboretum3

Zander and Dalton got a little silly during the story, but nothing too disruptive.

arboretum1

Joni (who had the day off work since her maternity leave is over) and Leanne (who takes every opportunity to steal one of our babies) snuggled the little ones in the shade. Can you believe we actually needed those blankets in mid-July?

arboretum2

The boys watched the train, watered the gardens and then got to see the snake. Thankfully he wasn’t hungry today because I didn’t want to see him swallow the little frozen mice.

arboretum4arboretum6arboretum5

Zander made me a pretty flower during the crafts.

arboretum12

Then we shared a picnic lunch with all of our friends. Seriously … we marvel every time we are together that we somehow managed eight boys with our three families.

arboretum13

arboretum21

After lunch the boys headed to the little pond to feed the fish. Leanne looks like a mama duck leading her ducklings. She said she was just worried one would take a nose dive in the water.

arboretum18

And then our friends went home but we went and played some more. Nick enjoyed a few minutes of peace with the rest of his lunch inside the corn crib. The boys usually pretend these are jails.

arboretum14

Ben had a bit of a diaper malfunction (read: blowout) that resulted in a wardrobe change. I just love the new vintage Mickey onesie! I was so said he had to take it off.

arboretum24

arboretum23

And I bribed the boys so I could get a picture with everyone.

arboretum22


Unfortunately, the morning (actually early afternoon) ended on a low note. The boys threw a fit when we had to leave (I had baby poop on my shirt and pants and it was naptime). Zander plopped himself down in the parking lot and I was in the van and in reverse before he finally came running along. This seems to be the way most things end these days. We have tons of fun, but when it is time to call it a day my kids can never just be happy for what we've done. They always want more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had fun :) I like the pic of you and the boys !!!!