I had an epiphany the other day as I was recharging batteries for the 435th time. I’m tired of batteries. I’m tired of toys that operate on batteries. I’m especially tired of the noises they make and the noises my children make when the toys stop making noises. So this year, we are doing Christmas a little different. This year we are going to do our best to buy the kids toys that don’t require batteries. It might be hard, but it might also be just the kick we need to change the way we think about Christmas. Our kids have a lot of stuff. And we like to get them the things they want. Their grandparents do too. It makes for a pretty full house come holiday time. And it’s only going to get worse with a third child. Though frankly, I have no clue what we are going to buy for him unless his brothers start breaking the things they already have.
So, this year we are focusing on items that make them use their imagination. Our boys love those kinds of toys just as much as the ones that make noise (and really they usually play with the ones that make noise without the batteries in them). So, I’ve started brainstorming and have a few ideas already socked away, but if one of the four people who reads this has any more feel free to share. I have a feeling I’m going to regret this decision as I am trying to fill the spots under the tree but we will see. Oh, and did I mention that we are hoping the grandparents will follow suit? (Yeah, that means you mom. Put your thinking cap on.)
Proof positive my kids don’t need the flashiest toys to have the most fun. I already shared the tape road. Nick’s been playing with his cars more than ever lately.
And these rocks (which started out in a construction sensory bin with the above tractors) have been everything from cupcakes to building supplies in the last week. They may make a mess, but they have kept this kid busy for HOURS. And he had to use his imagination to make it happen. I love hearing what he comes up with. It’s always something new and usually a little crazy.
No comments:
Post a Comment