I can’t believe it. The little guy that has been my baby for so long started preschool today. And we didn’t even get to savor the moment. I woke up just before 2 a.m. to feed Ben and as I was putting him back to sleep I heard a huge boom and the house went black. Yep, the power was gone. I fumbled around for a flashlight (dang boys are always stealing them and our rechargeable batteries are old and never hold a charge) and immediately called MidAmerican to alert them of the outage. I figured I was about the only poor soul in our neighborhood up at that awful hour. I set the alarm on my phone and hoped I wouldn’t need it. No luck. About 4:15 I woke to the sounds of MidAmerican guys clanging on the electrical box just outside our fenceline (I had opened the windows to keep some air circulating in the house). They had a huge spotlight beaming from their truck and were chatting away like it was 4 in the afternoon. Fifteen minutes later the downpour began and the men retreated to their truck. Thankfully I had already told my boss I would be in late so I could take Zander to school because I was going to be getting ready in the dark. The storm also woke Nick up earlier than normal so he headed out to the living room to play (in the dark). This is what it looked like with my camera flash (which Nick said “freaked” him out).
This is what it really looked like in the house. I give him credit for even attempting to play.
When we realized that the power wasn’t coming back on we made a last minute decision to have a special first day of school breakfast at Panera. The boys loved that idea and it allowed us to keep the refrigerator closed as much as possible.
Mike kept Nick at Panera while I quick ran home, grabbed Zander’s lunch and the rest of his stuff and quick headed to take Ben to daycare and Zander to school. And while we were running late I couldn’t help but snap this picture of the work being done in our neighbor’s yard. Apparently this was a pretty bad outage.
With minutes to spare we got to school, snapped this one absolutely adorable picture and rushed him in to daycare just in time to head to preschool. Zander sat down with his new daycare friends and waved bye to me like he’d been doing it forever. I did my best to find excuses to stick around but finally I just had to leave. My baby is growing up. Good thing I still have one more.
1 comment:
So cute.
Post a Comment