When an ice storm ruins ones plans for an afternoon of inflatable fun what does one do to recover? Let them eat cake. We had planned on going to Bixby’s Inflatable Rainforest today, but an ice storm hit Iowa and made us think better of venturing out of the house. I rarely tell the boys about fun outings until they are upon us simply because I hate dealing with the fallout when something goes wrong and we have to change plans. Case in point. I showed the boys pictures of the bouncers and shows a few weeks ago to gauge their interest in the event. They were pumped. Then this week I learned of an impending ice storm. Now, what I should have done was taken them on Saturday, but we already had some plans and we had hoped to meet some friends there on Sunday. Bad choice. We woke up Sunday to neighborhood covered in ice. Travel was not advised. So, I broke the news to the boys. Zander seemed perfectly fine with it (it had been questionable if he would even get to go because of his behavior at school the last two weeks). Nick, however, acted like it was the end of the world. He sat in the hallway crying about how this was the worst day ever and threatening to walk to the center so he could go. Melodramatic. Yes.
So, I tried to salvage the situation. I asked Nick if he wanted to help me make a sweet treat that we could share. Knowing that I may not have everything on hand for a from-scratch kind of treat we headed for the stash of boxed goodies and came back with a yellow cake and cherry frosting. Day saved. I know he doesn’t look like it here, but he really was enjoying the cake. I caught him mid-bite.
Here’s the one that really loved the cake! This one acted like it was his first birthday all over again. He even needed a bath when he was done.
And, as an added bonus they got cake for their afternoon snack. Best mom ever. Zander even told me so!
1 comment:
Gotta love weather
Post a Comment