Sunday, January 20, 2013

Experience 1 --- Pop Rocks

I recently came across the blog 52 Brand New about a single mom who one year attempted to try 52 new things for herself and then in the following year did the same with her children. She’s attempting the same this year. Now, I know I’m not likely to sneak 52 new experiences into our year, but I am going to at least attempt 24. Two each month shouldn’t be that hard. Right?

We started this little experiment off with something super simple: Pop Rocks.

pop1

I had bought these with the intention of giving them to the boys in one of their New Year’s Eve bags but since sickness kept us from completing the night I figured it would be a great start to our 52 Brand New adventure. The whole thing took less than three minutes but the results were definitely favorable.

pop2

Success No. 1: The boys shared. Not knowing how they would react to the fizzy candy I only gave them one packet to start. Nick carefully doled out a small handful to Zander before taking one for himself.

pop3

pop5

Success No. 2: They liked it. Well, more notably Zander liked it. He is my pickiest eater by far and even with desserts and candy it’s tough to please this kid.

 pop4

pop6

Success No. 3: This one is just for me. Hearing those little sugar rocks pop and fizz in their mouth brought back some seriously fun childhood memories. And watching Nick lick the sticky sweetness off his hand was like déjà vu.

pop8

pop7

Yep, I would say our first attempt was definitely a good one. I have high hopes for our second new experience which is already on the books for next weekend. I just hope that attitudes and health allow us to follow through.

No comments: