Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A few hours to relax

I had to spend a couple hours in the hospital today after slipping down a few stairs this morning. The boys were both sick and Mike had offered to stay home with them because I am swamped at work. I was heading downstairs to go to work and lost my footing on the stairs, landed on my butt and slid down a few. It didn't seem like much more than a bruised ego but I called the OB anyway, just in case.

I guess it was a good thing I did. Apparently, anytime a pregnant women slips and falls after the 20th week (no matter how innocuous the tumble seems) they want her to be monitored for four to six hours. So, I left work, headed home to grab the laptop and iPad and then hauled myself over to the hospital for a morning/afternoon of monitoring. My view for the morning:


I had to don the wonderful backside open gown and everything. UGH.


And while I know I should have been worried about the little bean I was cooking (he was kicking so much the dang fetal heart rate monitors wouldn't stay on) I have to be honest and say I was more worried about lunch. You see, I went in about 10:45, which is just minutes before I usually eat lunch. Since one of the reasons they want to monitor you is for pre-term labor the doctor really wasn't keen on letting my mom bring me some food. I get it, but really, the popsicle she offered as a substitute was really quite a disappointment.

So, for four hours I sat and listened to the fetal heart rate monitor and the alarm that would beep everytime Unnamed Baby No. 3 kicked and moved it off. Thankfully my mom came to keep me company for a bit or I think I might have gone nuts (though I did get some work done while I was there).


In the end, they found no problems. The bean's heartbeat and movement were strong and I showed no signs of pre-term later. I promptly left the hospital and headed to McDonalds where I ordered the most disappointing Shamrock shake ever (I thought they would be good, I was wrong) and a large fry.

1 comment:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

I'm glad you are Ok. I've wondered where you've been!