Sunday, February 21, 2010

Art gallery

I have been searching for ages for a functional yet attractive way to show off all of Nick (and now Zander's) artwork. Our refrigerator is overflowing with stuff and lately it has all been piling up on the cupboard when Nick brings it home from school.

So last week I was checking out some of my favorite mommy bloggers (these ladies are way more creative than I could ever dream of being) and finally found the answer to my problem. My college friend Amy at Simple.Messy.Fun posts her favorite finds for the week each Friday. This week she linked to U Create who had found this fabulous art gallery project over at Serving Pink Lemonade. (Are you lost yet? These mommy bloggers are all interconnected and love promoting each other's creativity.)

It was perfect. And it sounded pretty simple. So I decided to make one. And, yeah, there were a few things that I hadn't planned for (like trying to paint a clothespin with a regular old paintbrush) but other than that, it wasn't too bad. Even better, I finally got to use my Cricut to cut vinyl letters. So, here it is.



The board is 8 x 36 inches and can be found at Hobby Lobby ($8.99, but I used the 40 percent off coupon). Then I got some black paint, clothespins and the vinyl for the letters. In all, it cost less than $15. Not, too bad if I do say so myself. Especially since it makes me smile everytime I walk up my stairs or down my hall!

4 comments:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

IMPRESSED!! I have a Cricut but only have the cartridge that came with it :( What is the background thing, a piece of metal? Painted black? Didn't quite see any directions

emilyc said...

The back is a wood board I bought at Hobby Lobby (in the unpainted wood area). I bought a little thing of black "decorative" paint there, too. Painted the board and clothespins, then superglued them onto the board. Cutting the vinyl actually wasn't too bad, but I was cheap and didn't use the transfer tape so laying them out on the board sucked. Any bigger of a project and I will have to splurge on some.

Amy said...

Emily - how did you hang it? I bought my board this morning so hopefully get it painted this afternoon, but might use chipboard letters as I do not have a cricut.

emilyc said...

I bought regular picture hangers (in the hardware dept. at Walmart for $.99) and put one on each end. They aren't in super tight, though, because the board is so skinny. I saw some of the velcro stuff there, too. That may have worked, but I've never tried it before.