Saturday, February 6, 2010

Valentine's cards

This is Nick's first year in school and his second year of needing to do Valentine's cards (we did them last year at daycare).So, we went out and bought the obligatory cards (Toy Story with tattoos). There were 30 cards in the pack so I thought I would be safe (there are only 8 other kids in his preschool class). But, I forgot about daycare. So, I've been stalking my friend's blog ever since I found her on Facebook. She is super crafty and also stalks follows a whole bunch of crafty mommy bloggers. She is making this Valentine for her son Aidan and I thought I would do the same.

So, we got out all the old nasty crayons.


Nick peeled off the paper.


We separated them into this cute little heart tray.


And threw them in the oven.


But, I don't know how to read packaging. Turns out, that cute little heart tray was meant for ice cubes. It didn't work so well in the oven. So we changed over to a muffin tin and little cupcake holders.


But, that didn't look like it was working so well either, so I decided to pour the hot wax out of the paper holders straight into the muffin tin. By this time, I was so peeved I forgot to take pictures. But, this time they turned out OK. I think I used too much cooking spray on some, but that's OK. We'll just keep those ones at home to use.


Once I knew the crayons would work I had Nick sign the back of the Valentines.


Now I just need to find a way to attach the crayons (and remember to take them to school) and we are ready to go.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks for linking to my site Emily! Those turned out cute. :) We ended up putting our crayons in some white envelopes I had here already and taped the card to the front. But since Nick already signed his valentines I saw someone used foam tape to stick the crayons onto it. Good luck!