Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Peanut allergy

Nick was first diagnosed with a peanut allergy at about 20 months. The ladies from daycare called me at work and said that Nick had a couple hives around his eye after eating a chocolate chip and peanut butter granola bar. I thought they were full of it because those are my favorite and I was sure I had given him bites before. But, I went and got him anyway and pushed the thought from my mind.

That weekend I got the hairbrained idea to do a little food challenge in our kitchen. I had a piece of peanut butter toast and broke off just a small little piece and placed it on Nick's lip. He promptly used his tongue to push it off. And the little bumps started forming around his eye once again. So, I called the pediatrician on Monday. He got us into the allergist who told us all about peanut allergies and then did a skin prick test. The results: a 4+, the most sever you can have. He sent us home confused, loaded down with information and a prescription for an Epi-pen, just in case Nick had an anaphylactic reaction.

Fast forward two and a half years and the original doctor is gone, so we go in to meet the new replacement. From the moment we walk in he talks about the possibilty of a false positive on Nick's first test and makes an appointment for a food challenge in two weeks in case Nick's blood test comes back negative. And it did. And I got so excited. Then a day later (after I had told everyone I know, including my son) the doctor calls back with this new research he found. Come to find out, everything he told me in the office was wrong. Blood tests aren't best. We should have done a skin test.

I complained to the hospital and found a new doctor. No way was I leaving my baby in the hands of someone I didn't trust, when the potential outcome was an anaphylactic reaction and even death. Not happening. So today we went to see Dr. R. I was at ease right away. He explained everything (including how the research contradicts itself) and did his best to make me feel comfortable with everything I was being told.

In the end we decided it was best to at least try a skin test, though he highly doubted Nick would have actually grown out of the allergy. He was right. Within just a few minutes of that little pricks we knew our answer: Our baby was destined to a life without PB&J or Reese's Peanut Butter Cups or ants on a log. It could be worse. I know too many families who are dealing with so much more and who are tested by real life-threatening decisions everyday. But, my heart still broke for just a minute.

Later, I told Nick I was sorry he couldn't have peanuts. He looked at me and said "I'm sad, too, Mommy. But, it's not your fault." Man do I love that little guy. I need to remember this moment the next time he tries my patience. He truly is a sweet little boy.

Dad reading him a book while we wait for Dr. R.


This was just a few seconds after the test started.


This was about 7 minutes later, after the nurse had already come in and said we wouldn't need the full 15 minutes to see if he was allergic. The answer was quite obvious.


This was how I treated him for being so good at the doctor. He loved having his fries all to himself (he usually has to share with Zander).


1 comment:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

I'm sorry :( Maybe you can purchase peanut butter that isn't made out of peanuts. My friend Kari (blog - tales of the transients) mentioned what she uses for her daughter who is allergic not that long ago