Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Unexpected day off

I got a call about dinnertime last night that Megan (my cousin) was in labor with her twins (six weeks early). Her mom (my aunt) is also my boys' baby-sitter, so I got an unexpected day off today!!! And it was beautiful. My friend Leanne reminded me about the free story time at the local arboretum, so I called up our friend Joni and we all headed out with our boys. Unfortunately we didn't get much time to talk, but I think it is safe to say all our kids had fun.

I couldn't believe that Nick actually pet the corn snake! Several times. He was loving every minute of it, though I made sure to steer him clear when they were feeding it. I'm still a little weirded out by that, even if it is just part of the whole life cycle and everything.


Then everyone sat down for the story. It was something about worms. Yeah!


Then the kids got to use magnifying glasses to look for worms. Double yeah!


Then Nick started climbing the walls.


And locking his friends in the cages. Hey, he was in there too so it was OK right? I'm sure at this point Leanne's kids were off doing something constructive while ours let out their inner animal. :)


And look, Joni was even kind enough to take a picture of me with the boys. Too bad they would rather be anywhere but sitting down with me!


Then Joni and Dalton left and we had a picnic lunch. We dined at our own table since everyone else had peanut butter sandwiches. Oh the joys of food allergies. But, my boys didn't mind. Nick munched on his dinosaur sandwiches and grapes while Zander downed some string cheese and crackers. As you can see Nick stole a few.


After lunch we were supposed to join Leanne and her boys back in the giant sandbox (remember the hole to nowhere). But my boys had a different plan. They wanted to go on an adventure. So we did.


Nick used the map to lead us around the park for nearly an hour.


Unfortunately, I think he takes after his mother! Can't you just see Zander saying "Um, guys, I think we took a wrong turn somewhere." (That's the road behind him).


Then we took a quick snack break under a nice tree and my boys let me get a couple more pictures before we all headed home!


1 comment:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

I love these days off but I usually regret them the next day...but luckily now there are others to pick up my slack, should I have a "fun" day