Sunday, June 20, 2010

Nick's first movie

I was so excited to take Nick to his first movie. It didn't hurt that both Mike and I wanted to see it, too. All Nick ever talks about is Toy Story. His friends are all into Ironman and Transformers and Bakugans and my little guy just wants his Buzz and Woody. So, we decided that Toy Story 3 would be Nick's first real movie theater experience. We surprised him Sunday (in part because I didn't want to get his hopes up only to have something come up and we wouldn't be able to go) with the special two-on-one trip. Mema came home from the river early enough to take Zander off our hands for the adventure.

Nick was happy when we first got there, but I really think he was more worried about his snack than the movie. We finally got to sit down in our seats and his reaction to the huge screen was quite underwhelming. When the lights started to dim he got a little excited, but mostly, he just sat and watched the first half of the movie quietly. A few other kids made some funny comments to the characters on screen, but not our guy. He happily munched on the popcorn and relaxed in the chair.


But, by about three-fourths of the way through the movie he had pretty much had enough. He got a little fidgety and then started almost nodding off in his seat. With just a little bit to go he climbed into Mike's lap where I am pretty sure he snoozed for at least a couple of minutes.



Maybe the movie wasn't that good (I liked it, but others have agreed that it wasn't as engaging for young kids). Or maybe he just isn't ready for the big screen experience. Either way, I think we will be saving our money and waiting for movies to come out on DVD from now on.

No comments: