Monday, June 28, 2010

Can a kid really be allergic to watermelon?

Apparently, watermelon allergies do exist (it's in the same family as ragweed). I was just surprised to see this reaction because Nick has ate watermelon numerous times before. Granted, we've never had it on the rind and I don't think he has ever had 5 pieces in one sitting, but still. I felt so bad when I told him he couldn't have one of his favorite fruits anymore.



Editor's note: I called the allergist on Monday and the nurse said to keep it away from him for 30 days and try again. We later learned that probably wasn't necessary.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I had an employee that was allergic to watermelon. It was the first time I had heard of this allergy. She said she could not be around it at all - even the smell bothered her:) It was kind of tough since we always have a watermelon week at school! You will want to make sure your child's school is aware of the allergy. I think she was able to take an allergy medication before coming to school during the watermelon week to help control the symptoms.

emilyc said...

Deborah -- Thanks for the comment. I can't believe how many people actually have this kind of allergy! We actually have an appointment with the allergist next week. He had a similar reaction to apples (hence the -- "we later learned keeping it away from him for 30 days wasn't necessary) I just haven't gotten around to posting those photos yet. They are SO much worse. Breaks my heart to tell him he can't have these things. He's also allergic to peanuts, but he was only 1 when we discovered that so he doesn't know what he is missing there. He knows he likes fruit. I just wonder what else I'm going to have to ban from the house after this appointment.