Saturday, March 13, 2010

Swim lessons: Take 2

Week two was a definite improvement over week 1. I took Zander to his morning lesson and he did amazing. If I had to hazard a guess, he is going to be my fish.



Last week I was scared to put him all the way under (mostly because I don't like going under without plugging my nose), but this week I forced myself to put him under and he didn't seem to mind. In fact, when I asked if he wanted to do it again he said "yes." The biggest problem was he doesn't understand "Close your mouth." I'm pretty sure he ingested quite a bit of pool water. But, he seems none worse for the wear. The 25 minute lesson (and maybe the extra pool water in his belly) did a number on him though. I found him passed out in his bedroom about 20 minutes after we got home.



And wow, what a turnaround Nick did from last week. Even without the nap he did great during his lesson and when we were ready to head home (the point of last week's major meltdown). It might have helped that I bribed him with a Black Hawks hockey game that night if he was good (hey, the tickets were free so it's not like I was out anything one way or the other). This week I sat near the edge of the pool (last week Mike had to get in) and watched and encouraged from the sidelines. He tried to make himself do everything the teacher asked, but couldn't bring himself to go under water (again, I can't blame the kid). This was as good as it got:



His only other moment of hesitation was when the teacher helped them all back float around the pool. Nick does not do well with strangets (which can be good), but I talked him through it (gently encouraging him to just try it once) and he did, with only a few lip quivers. When she came around the second time he went right to her, no problems. I was so proud.

No comments: