We usually don’t get our pumpkins until a week before Halloween, but this month is jam-packed so we headed out to the pumpkin farm this weekend despite the 80 degree day. Seriously, I can not believe how warm it is right now. The boys wore shorts and a t-shirt to get pumpkins and were still sweating. Usually they are in at least long-sleeves and fleece jackets and more likely in winter coats and hats. Of course the fun always starts with some shots from the punkinator. If you look closely you can see an orange blur in the middle of the tree line on the first photo and then almost to the bus on the second.
We did the obligatory hayride (minus the hay).
They went through the dragon obstacle course a couple of times.
We looked at the animals.
And then they found the big pillow jumper. This was new this year and a hit for the kids and adults. Mike really wanted to join in on the fun but worried he would hurt his foot or ankle just days before the Des Moines marathon.
We split up for a little bit while Nick went through the haunted maze and haunted house. Zander was getting too hot and cranky so he headed to the pumpkin bouncer for a few minutes.
So, every year we walk by all these cardboard cutouts and this pumpkin measuring board and every year the kids balk at actually getting their picture taken. I really wanted at least this one picture this year and of course little Mr. Z was hot and tired and didn’t want to cooperate. I took the picture anyway.
Nick tried to be a good kid and was not-so-gently trying to remove Zander from the platform when Zander decided he wanted to take the picture after all. He stood up, pushed Nick, who was caught off guard and fell … into that big pumpkin right there. It was rotten. It got all over Nick’s hand, shirt and shorts. I took the picture anyway. But, I felt I should at least explain why he is standing with his hand like that.
After getting Nick cleaned up we finally picked pumpkins. Every year I have these grand ideas of the beautiful pictures I am going to get of my kids in a sea of pumpkins. It never happens. This is as good as it gets. Usually by this point in the day they are too cold and just want to leave. Today they were too hot and just wanted to leave.
And the closest I could get to a family picture. It’s always done in the last second before we leave when everyone is cranky. Today, they were hot and cranky and Zander was complaining about the sun.
1 comment:
haha! Sounds like our visits
Post a Comment