Anyway, he woke up this morning ready for school. The only thing keeping him from being 100 percent excited was that I was taking him there -- he wanted to ride the bus, but I think he wanted me to ride with him. After a wonderfully nutritious breakfast of powdered sugar donuts, Mike helped him pack his Lightning McQueen lunch box and we were off in my "van-bus." I dropped Z off at the baby-sitters and then it was off to school.
Nick kept talking about how much fun it would be the whole way there. He talked about writing his name and all the other great stuff he would get to do. We parked, walked up to the door, opened it --- and his whole tune changed. He was instantly back to my shy little guy, clinging to my leg and silent as can be. His teacher did a wonderful job trying to engage him, and even got a nod out of him just moments after we entered the classroom. But, I think he was overwhelmed by the other kids in the class who crowded around him introducing themselves and everyone else in the class.
We got out his lunch box, went into the hall to hang up his coat and then the teacher showed him the bathroom all the way at the end of the hallway. I can't believe they trust the kids to go all the way down there by themselves. YIKES. We showed him his Pre-K class, but his teacher wasn't in yet -- this will come back to bite me later. We got back in the daycare room and the teacher once again tried to get him to interact with the kids. She got out some cars and asked another little boy to take Nick and play with them on the track. I leaned down to give him his kisses (he likes one on each cheek) and a hug and he turned around and walked off, without looking back. He wasn't all excited, but he wasn't crying either.
I went down to the office to turn in his paperwork and pay for everything, then followed the principal back to his classroom to wait while she peeked in the class. I thought I was busted when I peeked my head around the corner and he was headed straight for the door. I thought he looked like he was crying, but nope, he was just off to the bathroom with the teacher. YEAH!!!
Anyway, I couldn't do anything at work all day. I just kept wondering how he was doing. And, come to find out he did OK, except when he had to transition to the Pre-K class. Remember how I said the teacher wasn't there in the morning, yeah, well, he had never met her before and freaked out a little when the daycare teacher tried to take him over to the class. Turned around and walked out as a matter of fact. She finally got him into the classroom and doing a puzzle and I guess he did OK after that, again, not all engaged, but not crying either.
During the afternoon recess, he fell down on the playground and skinned up his stomach and got a little scratch near his eye. He also broke the zipper on his coat at some point during the day so we had to go buy him a new one tonight. ARGH! I decided that as long as we had to go out, we might as well eat out, too, so we went to dinner and Nick darn near fell asleep on the way. I don't think he is used to being mentally challenged as much as he was today. We'll see how that works since he no longer gets naps and has to get up earlier so he can get in a breakfast before we leave for school. He is going to be awfully tired come Wednesday (no school) and the weekend. Maybe he'll actually nap then! This could be good after all. :)
All in all, it was a pretty good first day. I am so proud of how well he did! I can only hope the rest go just as well, if not better!


1 comment:
It gets easier. Tyler started preschool Aug. 31 and begs us to go everyday and weekend.
Post a Comment