Today was going really well, but I should have known it couldn't last forever. Mike went for his morning run. I took the boys to Target for the "special" sugar cookie ingredients and new Halloween shape cutters. We came home, made the dough, went to Menards and lunch. Zander went down for his nap, no problems. Nick played quietly for awhile. We rolled, cut and baked the cookies and while I was cleaning up the mess and making the frosting I heard a crash, followed by a loud cry, from the living room.
Zander had fallen. It's not an uncommon thing around here. He is quite seriously bow-legged still (the doctor says he will grow out of it), but the pigeon-toe often causes him to trip over his own feet. This time, his face landed on the edge of a hard plastic toy cash register. When Mike rushed him over to me, I looked at his mouth figuring he had split his lip or something. It wasn't until my eyes traveled up to his that I saw the true damage. Within seconds of falling the bridge of his nose had swelled and bruised like nothing I had seen, at least not on a face. He cuddled with me for a just a few minutes and then seemed fine.
I iced the bruise (though he was already ready to get going) while Mike looked up the number for Nurse on Call. I called, she said keep an eye on him, and we pretty much went about our day. But, man, does it look ugly. Even though he acted just fine for the rest of the day I had a strong desire to scoop him up and cuddle for the rest of the afternoon. He really wasn't having much of that - not my big tough boy. But, he was more than happy to keep his paci for the rest of the afternoon, a usual no-no in our house. Oh well, I wasn't going to fight that battle when his little face looked so pitiful.
OK, blogger is being a pain the butt tonight, so the pictures are out of order, but you still get the idea. After the accident we finished up the cookie decorating. Zander got to play a little longer in the sprinkles, and I let him eat two cookies, mostly because I didn't want to see him sad anymore.

Nick really enjoyed the cookies, too.

Doesn't this just look like it hurts? And he is smiling. Go figure.




No comments:
Post a Comment