Saturday, April 20, 2013

Back in the pool

 It's that time of year again. We've got the older boys back in swim lessons, and I can honestly say they have come a long way since last year. Zander is an eel, which means he is almost ready for the big pool. He still can't swim, but he is getting close. He isn't afraid of putting his head underwater (at least for a few seconds at a time) and he is finally learning to keep his body up while attempting to swim. Of the kids in his class he is most definitely the least fearful. He will jump in and start "swimming" around while the instructor is still trying to coax the next kid into jumping into the water without being caught.

He also thinks he's pretty cool stuff with his goggles on.

swim1

Nick is now a polliwog, which means he is over in the big pool (thankfully the classes are at the same time so we only have to spend an hour at the pool). He too is doing well, but his skills don't yet match up with the others in his group. But, he is trying.

swim2

He's a pretty good doggy-paddler. What can I say? He takes after his mama. If he can doggy paddle long enough to keep himself afloat in a dangerous situation then I will be a happy girl. I don't need a competitive swimmer. I need a safe little boy.

swim3

swim4
swim5
swim6

swim7

Not bad. He can't go far, but he can go. At the end of the class the teacher said he could move into the big pool when we do lessons again! Zander's excited, but I don't think Nick was. Maybe that will be the motivation he needs to get his butt in gear. If that doesn't work the swimming test at the pool this summer might.

swim8
swim9

This looks really dangerous for the poor instructor in the water. I don't have any pictures of it, but the kids even started to learn how to sit-dive off the edge of the pool. Nick seemed too tall for the exercise. He looked like he was eating his knees every time he tried to dive.

swim10

No comments: