Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Sick day

Today was supposed to be a nice and relaxing day with my middle man. It has instead turned into a sick day with all three of my children. Ben is really sick, except for the snot pouring from his nose and the drool pooling on his shirt. Nick has a nasty runny nose (blaming it on a cold and allergy combo) that has manifested into pinkeye. Either that or he was kissing his classmate with pinkeye on the playground this week. And Zander, who did so wonderful yesterday, woke up with a 103.1 temperature and the chills. I gave him some tylenol and laid with him in my bed fro about 30 minutes before calling the doctor at 5:30 a.m. Thankfully the ENT was actually on call, though he told me nothing. Basically he said it’s very unlikely that Zander has an infection from the surgery so it must be something else presenting itself at a really bad time. I gave him some ibuprofen about 6 and by 8 or so the fever had come down to about 100.5. It stayed there much of the day.

The fever meant Zander once again got babied and Nick got mad. So during naptime I tried to do a “special art project” with him so he didn’t feel so left out. We started with this fun milk, dish soap and food coloring “experiment” I found on a blog I follow.

It started with about an inch of milk in the bottom of a baking dish. Then we put three drops of food coloring in the milk.

sickday5

I put one drop of dish soap in the pink/purple dot and it went crazy. I have a video, but I am already so far behind we are sticking with just pictures here today. Pretty cool, huh? 

sickday4

Nick wanted to try it so I let him put some more food coloring in and try the soap again.

sickday3

I don’t know if he put in too much soap or if it just didn’t want to work because we only have skim milk in the house (from what I understand it works better with a more fatty milk) but the second set of colors just kind of sat there.

sickday2

So, it was on to other things. I found a roll of brown craft paper in the garage recently and figured Nick could paint on that. He was happy as a clam with new papers, old paints and new painting tools. And when Zander woke up Nick had just finished so Zander got to paint a little too.

sickday1

No comments: