Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sand mandala

For the second year in a row the University of Northern Iowa has brought a sand mandala to campus. Last year I visited a few times and even got to cover the closing ceremony for work. This year, I wanted the boys to see this work of art. The monks were working on it during our weekly Kindermusik class so I made sure to take the boys down for a peak. Zander could have cared less, but Nick was very interested. When I told him he could make his own mandala on another day he asked to come back.











So, today I left work a little early so we could visit again. Nick was very disappointed when we arrived and Geshe Dorjee Thupten (the monk overseeing the mandala) was not there to help us with the children's table. He asked if we could wait a little while longer to see if he would come. Nick quickly got bored and began roaming the performing arts center, but his (kinda) patience eventually paid off. The Geshe showed up and even helped Nick get his mandala started.





No comments: