Friday, April 23, 2010

Tubes and adenoids

Last weeks fever meant the surgery for Nick's tubes and a possible adenoidectomy had to be postponed until today. There was a moment when he woke up that I thought the surgery may have to be delayed again because he appeared to have pink eye. (I'm now thinking it was just a really bad alleargy reaction). Doesn't that eye look awfully nasty?


So we headed off to the hospital about 6:45. Surgery was scheduled for 8:30 or 8:45. Nick was whiney from the get go because he couldn't have anything to eat or drink when he woke up (can't say I blame the kid). At the hospital he was his usual anti-social self, hiding behind my leg and not responding to any questions the nurses asked him.


I was not looking forward to the handoff in the hallway outside the surgery hallway. But, we had a wonderful anesthesiologist who kindly gave Nick an oral sedation while he was still in the room with us. The medicine made him loopy as can be, but it also relaxed him so much that he didn't even notice he was being wheeled into surgery.






Can you tell how hard I am trying to hold him up?





The doctor said he did great in surgery. They got the tubes in and took the adenoids out without any problems. Unfortunately after the surgery wasn't nearly as smooth. I could hear him crying as they rolled him down the hall. Even after I was holding him he continued to throw a huge freak-out tantrum, ripping at the IV in his hand (they had to put it in to take the adenoids out). I think the nurse felt sorry for us because she kindly removed the IV, even though she wasn't really supposed to. It was either that or the other patients were starting to complain about the crazy kid at the end of the hall. Either way, I'm thankful, because Nick calmed down right away and just relaxed for another 45 minutes or so. He drank some apple juice, puked and then we headed home.

By the time dinnertime rolled around he was pretty much back to his usual crazy self.

And just because he's cute.

1 comment:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Those pics are great. I'm glad the surgery went well. Did mom shed tears? I would have.