Monday, April 5, 2010

Science experiment

I've been trying very hard lately to incorporate educational play into the time I spend with the kids. I've been following all kinds of blogs about how to use everyday things as educational tools. This was one of those recommendations. After Easter we had bunches of the plastic eggs everywhere around the house. So, thanks to one of my favorite mommy bloggers, I decided to put them to good use. I had Nick and Zander collect the eggs while I searched for items we could use in our experiment. I grabbed blocks, Hot Wheels, art supplies and money for the project. Then I got a big bowl of water. By now, the boys were VERY interested. I started by explaining to Nick about what it meant to sink or float. We filled each egg with the stuff and then decided if it would sink to the bottom or float. Unfortunately, I'm not very smart when it comes to science and I severely underestimated just how much it would take to get those darn eggs to drop. Only one (well actually three) things in the bucket made the egg sink: Nick's magic coins (the ones he keeps in his pocket in case he gets sad at school). But, the boys didn't seem to mind. Zander just dropped empty eggs in while Nick meticulously chose items to fill his egg.

Then all hell broke loose.




No comments: