Tuesday, March 26, 2013

My little ninja

Ok. So he’s not really little. And he’s really not a ninja yet. But, he could be. Someday. With a whole lot of practice. Nick started taekwondo at the Y today. He’s been asking to do it since his younger (second) cousin started taking classes. Just one day in I would say he really likes being in class. Unfortunately he often likes watching the other kids more than he likes watching the instructor.

On their first night they learned kicks and blocks, though I use the word learn loosely. My only complaint (looking at this after three weeks in class) is that they seem to “learn” everything once and then rarely go back to it. But, I’ve seen the yellow and blue belts and they look like they know what they are doing so I am going to trust the man wearing the black belt.

TKD1

TKD2

I call this whack-a-mole. I’m pretty sure there is a more technical term for it, but I’ve yet to learn it. The kids were attempting to block an attacker.

TKD3

TKD4

I rarely saw smiles like this during t-ball.

TKD5

This is definitely the hardest skill they tried to teach on the first night – a rolling break fall. It’s essentially a somersault over an obstacle, or when you are a true ninja you would use it to get away from someone who has ahold of your arm. Nick’s still working on this one.

TKD7

1 comment:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Awesome! I took it and loved it. It will give him a lot self confidence