Saturday, March 1, 2008

Is it spring yet?

This winter has been brutal. It started with snow in November, ice storms in December and then everything Mother Nature can throw at us since then. So, needless to say, there has been a lot of snow. And until recently, I was dealing.

A few days ago I noticed a musty smell in our bedroom. I blamed Mike's new workout clothes (the wicking material may stay dry, but dang does it smell once it's been in a gym bag all day), asked him to throw them directly in the laundry room when he comes home and thought the problem would go away. I was wrong.

I noticed the smell again today and eventually found a wet spot on our floor. Mike headed up to the attic but found nothing, so we settled on cleaning the carpet in that area and keeping our eye on it for the next few days. He tried using our wall as leverage to push our gigantic dresser out of the way and the extent of our problem came a little clearer. The force of his weight pushed a hole in the drywall. Now, Mike is no tiny man, but really, he's not that big, either.

Further investigation showed sever feet of our wall was quite wet as was part of our ceiling. An ice dam had built up on the roof and the rest is history. So, we now have a gaping hole in our bedroom wall, a smaller hole in our ceiling and a huge mess to clean up. Oh, and did I mention I am due to have this baby anytime in the next 21 days? Yeah, it's been a great day! I think the most irritating thing is it is obvious this has happened before. The insulation we pulled down is different from the stuff in the panel that hasn't been fully removed yet.
So, here are my photos of the day. They aren't anything spectacular, but it's what I got. Oh, and sorry for the really bad color on some of these. I didn't use the flash at first and they turned out really orange. Oh, and the black stuff isn't mold, it's just dirty (thankfully).



16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man that sticks...hope tomorrow is better for you all!
Cari

Val said...

Oh no... Sorry you're having to deal with this!

Amy said...

How horrible! I hope you're able to get it taken care of very quickly!

We had a similar thing happen in our workout room. We thought we'd be crafty and hang these cool PB shelve things. We hit something with the drill, made hissing sounds so we called 911, gas line, was on the other side of dryer. Three firetrucks came, was snowing like crazy. About twenty firemen came in, by now we realize it was a water line (washer on other side too), entire floor is flooded! Anyway, we had a drywall disaster for a year, just had the whole room redone about three weeks ago!

Angela2932 said...

What a crappy day for you! The joys of homeownership????!!!!???? I hope your DH is very handy with the drywall/painting/insullation and you get to sit back with a nice warm drink, put your feet up, look at photos, and browse this message board. . .

Anonymous said...

That really sucks. I hope he can fix it for you so you can relax and not worry about it.

Stacey said...

Oh man, that really stinks! Hopefully you'll be able to figure out a way to fix the problem so it doesn't happen anymore... what a bummer

Stacey said...

I just remembered a story well... we live in an old old old house, which I like, because it has a ton of charm.. Well, we've been doing a lot of work just to update a few things... My DH was laying a new floor in the upstairs bathroom and he asked for some help. He was having a hard time slipping the tile under the clawfoot tub It was just barely too thick). So, he had me pull up while he slid it under. It worked. Well, way later that day it was raining like crazy outside. I walked into the dining room and notice almost literally a waterfall coming down the doorway to the kitchen. I mean it was POURING! I ran upstairs to see if water was leaking up there and then downstairs. There was no sign of a leak. It took a little bit to figure out that when I lifted up on the tub, I broke the waterpipe, oops. Don't know my own strength I guess! LOL

Margaret said...

Oh that is awful! I'm so sorry you have to deal with this when you are so close to having a baby! Hope it can all get fixed soon.:) Hang in there.

Becky said...

That stinks. I hope it gets fixed without too much inconvenience or cost. Ice dams are bad, my DH is pretty paranoid about not letting snow or ice build up.

Ginnie said...

That does not look like fun! Hope tomorrow is better.

Anonymous said...

that just stinks!!!!!
i am so sorry>!
tara

bprincephoto said...

So sorry!! I know how terrible it can seem when these things happen. Hang in there.

Bobbi said...

That stinks, I am sorry. I hope it all gets cleared up quickly for you.

Mandy said...

Oh man...that is so awful! Water can sneak in the worst ways. Thank goodness you found it though...it could have been doing some serious structural damage for a long time. This winter has seemed to last forever. I sure hope you get it fixed really soon.

Mom2Drew said...

First of all...thank God it isn't mold!!!!!

What a bummer though, hate that you're having to go through this.

Tori said...

oh no! how horrible!