This is the first year in several that we haven’t spent the weekend before Nick’s birthday in Des Moines so Mike could run the Living History Farms race. His injured foot (won’t heal for a year) has rendered him unable to run and we opted to save the cash we would have spent on the hotel room instead of heading down anyway. So, we had Nick’s birthday party this weekend and for the most part it was just like every other year. I didn’t send out invitations which meant that I forgot to invite my grandma until the very last minute and everyone came over, ate a little, watched Nick open his presents and then went home. Yeah for birthdays. Nick is into absolutely nothing except Legos (and even that is questionable as he puts them together and then leaves them to collect dust or be destroyed by his brother) which made shopping for him loads of fun.
This was probably his most used present --- Mancala from his great-grandma. It requires one-on-one contact from us which means he asks to play it all the time. His other favorite gift was Rack-O, a game my dad and I used to play all the time when I was little.
This was the Power Rangers motorcycle that Zander bought for Nick. I’m pretty sure Zander actually bought it because he knew Nick wouldn’t care if he took it and never let it go. Whatever, Nick didn’t seem to mind and Zander was happy as a clam.
Nick always wants brownies instead of a birthday cake which makes decorating a little difficult, but I tried my best this year. Thankfully, I did finally find Wilton frosting tips that stayed on the tubes of icing which made my design slightly less hideous. The good thing, Nick has never had a store-bought cake and he doesn’t seem to mind my less-than-stellar decorating skills.
After presents were opened Nick coerced Justin into helping him put the LEGO motorcycle hauler that he and my sister got for Nick together. I don’t think Justin was much of a help, but it was fun watching them together.
No comments:
Post a Comment